After purchasing your Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, the next step is to buy a gimbal that will help you capture fantastic video footage.
In the market today, there are many different types and brands of gimbals to choose from, and it can be overwhelming to decide which one is the best fit for you and your camera.
So, what is the best gimbal for the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K?
- Strong and sturdy construction
- 4.1 lbs weight
- Payload capacity of up to 8 lbs
- Detachable, modular design
- Battery life of 12 hours
- Weighs only 2 lb
- Algorithm-based stabilization system
- Synchronized movement
- 12-14 hours battery life
- Phone Remote Control
- High payload capacity (up to 9.3 lbs)
- Up to 20 hours battery life
- Compact Design
- Intuitive control interface
- Compatible with many lenses
Best Gimbal for Bmpcc 6K
The BMPCC 6K weighs about 4.6 lbs or approximately 2 KG. That’s without any accessories. Keep that in mind.
There are five best Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K gimbals that can give you the stability and performance you need to capture amazing video footage.
- DJI Ronin-S Gimbal
- Zhiyun Weebill – 3-axis Gimbal
- Moza Air 2 Gimbal
- DJI RS 2 Gimbal
- Zhiyun Crane 3S Gimbal
This article will guide you through what to look for when choosing the best gimbal for the Bmpcc 6K, together with the different features, advantages, and disadvantages of each gimbal.
The 5 Best Gimbals for Bmpcc 6K
Knowing the factors to look for when choosing the best gimbal for Bmpcc 6K, here are our top 6 picks for the best gimbals for Bmpcc 6K that are currently available in the market.
- Strong and sturdy construction. The body of the DJI Ronin-S is made of aluminum alloy, which makes it strong and durable. The gimbal is designed to withstand the everyday wear and tear that comes with being a professional filmmaker.
- 4.1 lbs weight. The DJI Ronin-S weighs only 4.1 lbs, making it one of the lightest gimbals on the market. Being lightweight makes carrying it around easier.
- Payload capacity of up to 8 lbs. The DJI Ronin-S has a payload capacity of up to 8 lbs which means it can carry the Bmpcc 6K with all the other accessories attached to it up to a weight of 8 lbs. This is an excellent feature if you plan to use many accessories with your Bmpcc 6K.
- Comes with a detachable, modular design. While the modular design of the DJI Ronin-S makes it easy to use, it also makes it easy to carry around and store when you are not using it. The gimbal can be easily detached from the mounting plate and stored in a small space.
- Battery life of 12 hours. The DJI Ronin-S has a battery life of 12 hours which is more than enough for most shooting situations. This long battery life ensures you will not have to worry about the gimbal running out of power in the middle of a shoot.
- DJI Ronin App. The DJI Ronin-S comes with the DJI Ronin app that you can install on your smartphone. This app gives you the ability to control the gimbal remotely. This is a great feature to have if you are planning to use the gimbal in a situation where you are not able to be in direct control of the gimbal.
- Built-in modes. The DJI Ronin-S has several built-in modes that make it easy to use. These modes include upright mode, underslung mode, and flashlight mode.
1. Upright Mode
In this mode, the gimbal is balanced and stabilized in an upright position.
This is the most common mode used when shooting videos and allows you to have the most control over the gimbal.
It is commonly used for wide-range shots, both on the move and static. Using this mode, you can have the camera on your subject or yourself to get a first-person view (FPV).
The latter is commonly used in making vlogs.
2. Underslung Mode
In this mode, the gimbal is balanced and stabilized below the knees.
This mode is mostly used for getting low shots and is commonly used in shooting action scenes.
3. Flashlight Mode
In this mode, the gimbal is held horizontally in front of you, with the camera facing outwards.
This mode helps add stability when taking motion shots or more advanced ones like the barrel roll.
- Its battery charges quickly
- Its design makes it easy to store and carry around
- Its payload capacity can accommodate the weight of the Bmpcc 6k with all the other accessories attached to it.
- The DJI Ronin app gives you the ability to control the gimbal remotely.
- It is the best gimbal for Bmpcc 6k professional video production because of its various built-in modes.
- Once set up, it records smooth and stable videos.
- You need to assemble the batteries once charged.
- The DJI Ronin-S app is not compatible with all smartphones.
- Weight. The Zhiyun Weebill- 3-axis Gimbal weighs only 2 lb, making it one of the lightest gimbals on the market. This makes it easy to carry around and use for extended periods without causing fatigue.
- Synchronized movement. The Zhiyun Weebill- 3-axis Gimbal is capable of making a synchronized movement with the camera, meaning that, when you pan the camera, the gimbal will also pan in the same direction. This helps to keep the video footage stable.
- About 12-14 hours of battery life. The Zhiyun Weebill- 3-axis Gimbal has a battery life of about 12-14 hours which is more than enough for most shooting situations. This long battery life ensures you will not have to worry about the gimbal running out of power in the middle of a shoot.
- Phone Remote Control. The Zhiyun Weebill- 3-axis Gimbal has a phone remote control that you can use to control the gimbal remotely. This is a great feature to have if you are planning to use the gimbal in a situation where you are not able to be in direct control of the gimbal.
- Wireless follow focus system. The Zhiyun Weebill- 3-axis Gimbal has a wireless follow focus system that allows you to focus on your subject without touching the camera. This is an excellent feature if you are shooting video footage and do not want the camera to shake.
- Ergonomic handles. The Zhiyun Weebill- 3-axis Gimbal has ergonomic handles that make it comfortable to hold for long periods and allow you to shoot from different angles comfortably.
- Algorithm-based stabilization system. The Zhiyun Weebill- 3-axis Gimbal has an algorithm-based stabilization system that can provide smooth and stable videos. The gimbal can keep the camera stable even if you move side to side, back and forth, or up and down.
- It has a very smooth stabilization
- It is very lightweight and hence easy to carry around
- Its ergonomic handles make it comfortable to use
- With the phone control, you can operate the gimbal remotely
- Produces stables videos made possible by the wireless follow-focus system
- It has a sling mode that is easy to adjust
- The app is often inconsistent
- It has a setup procedure that is a bit complicated
- High payload capacity. The Moza Air 2 Gimbal has a high payload capacity of up to 9.3 lbs which means it can easily carry the Bmpcc 6K with all the other accessories attached to it up to a weight of 9.3 lbs.
- Long battery life. The Moza Air 2 Gimbal has a long battery life of up to 20 hours when fully charged. So if you are planning to shoot for extended periods, this gimbal will be able to accommodate your needs.
- Compact Design. The Moza Air 2 Gimbal has a compact design that makes it easy to carry around and store when you are not using it.
- Intuitive control interface. The Moza Air 2 Gimbal has an intuitive control interface that makes it easy to use. Adjusting the gimbal settings is even easier. Using the control interface, you can customize the wheel functions, change the shooting modes, and change the follow mode to align with your needs.
- Compatible with many lenses. The Moza Air 2 Gimbal is compatible with many lenses, giving you the flexibility to use the lens you want.
- Moza iFocus Technology. The Moza Air 2 Gimbal uses iFocus technology called the 4th axis of MOZA Air2 to control the zoom and focus of your camera while shooting.
- It has a long battery life of up to 16 hours hence can be used for long shooting periods
- It has a robust design that makes it durable.
- It is capable of utilizing time-balancing
- The gimbal is equipped with an OLED display that makes it easy to change the settings
- It is compatible with many lenses hence giving you the flexibility to use the lens you want
- It is a bit pricey
- Complex hence it takes time to master how to use all the features
- Advanced stabilization algorithm. The DJI RS 2 Gimbal is a top-of-the-line gimbal that uses an advanced stabilization algorithm to stabilize the camera, thus keeping your shots smooth. Even with a 100mm zoom lens, you can get smoother and more stable shots using this feature.
- Payload of 10 lbs. The DJI RS 2 Gimbal has a payload of 10 lbs which is great for cameras such as the Bmpcc 6K. This allows you to use various lenses and accessories without worrying about the gimbal’s ability to support the weight.
- Full-color LED status display. The DJI RS 2 Gimbal has a full-color LED status display that lets you see the current status of the gimbal. This is helpful when trying to keep track of the different settings and ensure that everything is working correctly.
- It has a battery life of up to 12 hours. The DJI RS 2 Gimbal has a battery life of up to 12 hours which is great for long days of shooting. This allows you to use the gimbal for extended periods without worrying about the battery dying.
- Made of carbon fiber. The DJI RS 2 Gimbal is made of carbon fiber, making it very lightweight and durable. This is an excellent material for a gimbal because it can withstand a lot of wear and tear.
- Since it is made of carbon fiber, the DJI RS 2 Gimbal is very lightweight, which makes it easy to carry around with you
- Easy to balance and set up
- The battery life is incredible. You can use it for up to 12 hours before needing to recharge
- The advanced stabilization algorithm ensures that your shots are smooth and stable
- It has a full-color LED status display that helps keep track of the different settings
- You cannot install your Arca-Swiss plate
- Its price is on the high end
- Its app always asks to access your contacts, hence might be a privacy concern for some
- Touch control system. Zhiyun Crane 3S is equipped with a touch control system. This system allows you to use your phone as a remote to control the gimbal. The phone can be used to change the camera settings and to start and stop recording.
- Different modes. The modes on the Zhiyun Crane 3S include panorama, timelapse, long exposure, and PhoneGo mode. These modes will enable you to get different shots with the gimbal. For example, the PhoneGo mode will allow you to get smooth shots even when moving the gimbal around quickly.
- Unique handle. The handle on the Zhiyun Crane 3S is designed in a way that allows you to grip it in different ways. This is helpful as it gives you more options when trying to get a shot.
- Versatile design. The Zhiyun Crane 3S has a versatile design. While it is used primarily as a gimbal for BMPCC 6K, you can also use it with other cameras such as the DSRL, mirrorless, and action cameras.
- Battery Life of 15 Hours. The battery life on the Zhiyun Crane 3S is 15 hours. This is helpful as it means you will not have to worry about the gimbal running out of power while using it.
- The Zhiyun Crane 3S is a great gimbal for those who want to get smooth shots
- The touch control system is very user-friendly and allows you to control the gimbal easily
- The different modes on the gimbal will enable you to get different types of shots
- Has a great internal software that is very user-friendly
- Not very heavy hence easy to carry around
- It sometimes overheats, especially when used for long hours
- Drifts from time to time
What to Look for When Choosing the Best Gimbal for the Bmpcc 6K
When choosing the best gimbal for the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, there are several factors you need to consider.
The weight of the gimbal and the camera will impact how easy it is to carry around and how long you can use it without getting tired.
A lighter gimbal will be easier to carry while shooting and less likely to cause fatigue.
This will enable you to shoot for more extended periods.
Contrarily, a heavier gimbal will be more difficult to carry while shooting and is more likely to cause fatigue, inhibiting your ability to shoot for long periods.
The design of the gimbal is also essential.
Some have a more ergonomic design that makes them more comfortable to hold for long periods.
Even though some gimbals are heavy, some have a complementary design that helps balance the weight of the gimble and the camera making it easier to carry around.
Zhiyun Crane 3S gimbal is a good example.
Although it weighs more than 7 lbs, it has been designed to distribute the weight evenly, making it easier to carry around.
The battery life is another crucial factor when choosing the best gimbal for the Bmpcc 6k.
Some gimbals have a shorter battery life of 7 to 12 hours once fully charged, while others have a longer battery life exceeding the 14hr built-in battery mark.
A good example is the Moza Air 2 Gimbal which has a battery life of up to 16 hours once fully charged.
Before choosing a gimbal for your Bmpcc 6K, ensure that you know the length of time you will be shooting and choose a gimbal with a battery life that will accommodate your shooting needs.
Shorter battery life may not be an issue if it is a one-time shoot.
However, if you plan on shooting for extended periods, you will need a gimbal with longer battery life.
This is because you do not want to be interrupted in the middle of a shoot by a dead battery.
This aspect of the gimbal is essential, and many people often forget to consider it when choosing a gimbal for their camera.
The dimensions of the gimbal will impact how easy it is to carry it around. The gimbal size is not as important if you plan to shoot in a studio.
However, if you plan to travel with your gimbal, you must ensure it is of the right size to avoid carrying around a large, bulky gimbal.
My opinion is that the smaller the gimbal, the better.
Purchasing a small and compact gimbal will make it easy for you to travel with and also make it easy to store when you are not using it.
The payload capacity of the gimbal is also an essential factor to consider when choosing the best gimbal for the Bmpcc 6K.
The payload capacity is the maximum weight the gimbal can safely carry without negatively affecting it.
The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K weighs about 2 lbs (4 KG). However, attaching gadgets like lenses, microphones, etc., will make it weigh over 4 lbs.
It would help if you made sure that the gimbal you are purchasing has a payload capacity that can accommodate the camera’s weight with all the other accessories attached.
If you plan to use many accessories with your Bmpcc 6K, you need to ensure that the gimbal you are purchasing has a payload capacity that accommodates the weight of all the accessories.
Some gimbals come with an app you can install on your smartphone, allowing you to control the gimbal remotely.
This is a great feature to have if you are planning to use the gimbal in a situation where you are not able to be in direct control of the gimbal.
For example, if you are shooting a time-lapse video, you can set up the gimbal and the camera in the desired position and then use the app to start and stop the recording.
This is a great feature and can come in handy in many shooting situations. It is mostly found in high-end gimbals like the DJI Ronin-S.
The DJI Ronin-S has the DJI Ronin-S app, which can be installed on your smartphone and used to control the gimbal remotely.
However, it would help if you kept in mind that different apps come with different features, and not all apps are created equal. Some apps may have more features than others.
Therefore, it is essential to research and read the reviews of the different apps before purchasing a gimbal.
By doing so, you will ensure that the app of the gimbal you choose is compatible with your smartphone and has the features you are looking for.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Bmpcc 6K Netflix Approved?
Netflix does not currently approve the BMPCC 6K.
This is because of its quality of sound and picture, which do not meet Netflix’s standards for streaming content.
Netflix has a very high bar when it comes to the quality of its content and does not accept any resolution lower than what it provides on its platform.
Is There a Speedbooster for Bmpcc 6K?
No. Currently, there isn’t any Speedbooster for the Bmpcc 6K.
Metabones will probably never make one.
This is because there isn’t enough space inside the camera to allow the speed booster to fit physically.
A gimbal is an important piece of filmmaking equipment, especially when shooting with a BMPCC 6K.
Our favorite gimbal for the BMPCC 6K is the DJI Ronin-S Gimbal.
Knowing the key features to consider when choosing the best gimbal for the BMPCC 6K and some of the best gimbals available today, you can select the one that best suits your needs.