Cat photography is a fun and exciting area of pet photography to explore, especially if you are a cat lover.
Regardless of the camera you use, the kind of lens you put in front of your camera enormously impacts the quality of the outcome.
Therefore, as a cat photographer, you may wonder, “What is the best lens for cat photos?”
The best lens for cat photos is one with a focal point of 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3, an aperture of f/2.8 or wider, and an autofocus feature.
Some of the best lenses you can try are Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8, Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS, and Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM.
This guide looks into the best lens that you can use to take cat photos.
It highlights some of the qualities you ought to check to buy the best lens and mentions some of the best lenses you can use in your cat photography.
Which is the best lens for cat photography?
The best lens for cat photography for every individual varies depending on the desired quality of images and budget.
However, you can try the lenses below, which have produced outstanding results in taking cat photos.
Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8 lens
Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8 lens is one of the most common lenses among cat photography experts, thanks to its excellent shots.
It features the following:
- An aperture of f/2.8 that allows for perfect images in difficult lighting conditions.
- A unique extra-low dispersion element that helps reduce aberrations, distortion, and flare for consistent edge-to-edge illumination and sharpness
- Vibration reduction and image stabilization which reduces the appearance of camera shake by up to four shutter speed stops. They also make handheld shooting in a low-light environment easy.
- A silent wave motor that offers quiet, quick, and precise autofocus performance.
- A specialized electromagnetic aperture designed to offer exposure control stability which is essential when shooting fast and continuously.
- Weather-seal that helps the lens to withstand moisture and dust when in harsh environments.
Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS Lens
If you are looking for a lens that allows you to monitor your cat’s movement, then the Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 is the best lens for you.
It has the following features:
- Four aspherical and two extra-low dispersion glass elements that help suppress distortions and chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range, enhancing image clarity and color accuracy.
- Nano AR coating meant to allow taking photos in backlit conditions with minimal flare and ghosting.
- Image stabilization which makes it easy to shoot steady images at longer focal lengths.
- Autofocus mechanism which improves the image sharpness
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens
This lens can transform your cat photography skills without breaking your bank account. It has the following features:
- An aperture of f/1.8 that makes it easy to take quality shots in low lighting conditions and create selective focus applications
- Super Spectra coating designed to minimize flare and ghosting for color neutrality and greater contrast when working in high lighting conditions.
- A metal lens mount that increases the lens’ durability
- A rounded seven-blade diaphragm that leads to excellent out-of-focus quality, enabling selective focus techniques and shallow depth of field.
Factors to consider to get the best lens for cat photos
Though all lenses perform the same function, they are not equal.
With the many types of lenses in the market, sifting through the choices to find one that meets your cat photography requirements can be completely overwhelming.
Some of the factors to consider to get the best lens for taking cat photos include:
There usually isn’t much time to switch from one lens to another when taking cat photos.
Therefore, it’s best to have a lens covering a wide focal length range.
The best lens for taking cat photos is the telephoto lens which has a long focal length, making it easy to photograph cats from a distance.
With this lens, you can position yourself far and take quality images without disturbing the cat.
The wide focal length makes a telephoto lens perfect for cat action photography, especially during events such as cat shows or competitions.
The lens usually has a fixed to a zoom focal length, but a fixed focal length is a better choice as it’s often sharper.
A great example of an affordable telephoto lens that you can consider is the 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3.
However, if you are looking for something more advanced, the 70-200mm 2.8 would be perfect.
In cat photography, it’s crucial to choose a ‘fast’ lens as it leads to excellent quality images.
For instance, a lens with an f-number or aperture of f/2.8 or wider allows more light in, enabling you to shoot in low light conditions and still achieve a good shot.
A lens with an aperture of f/2.8 or broader also allows a narrower depth of field, enabling you to achieve a gorgeous blurry background, which is impressive in cat photography.
Focus on a lens can either be manual or automatic.
A manual lens requires you to rotate the focus ring and manipulate the aperture ring by hand, while an automatic one finds the focus for you.
An automatic focus lens is the best for cat photography as it helps you capture the animals even when they are in movement.
For some lenses, you can switch between automatic and manual modes; choose one that has a high switch speed for flexibility when making shots.
Another lens aspect to check to get the best lens for cat photography is image stabilization, a system within a lens.
This system allows you to shoot in darker environments without motion blur and accounts for your handshaking if you’re not using a tripod.
An excellent lens plays an essential role in improving the quality of cat photos. If you wonder which is the best lens for cat photography, go through the guide above.
It will equip you with all the factors you need to look for when choosing the best lens for your cat photography, leading to better-quality images.
Additionally, it shall give you an idea of the lenses you can consider purchasing, making your search easier.